Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My Trading Software

First the mandatory I have no relation or affiliation with the following products. This is just to answer the question before someone asks.

Charting

I use Investor/RT from Linnsoft.com as my charting package. I started with a different software package and just got too frustrated with limitations. IRT is very powerful and efficient package. Before I switched I felt I needed to upgrade my PC. Now I have more charts with more complex indicators and I use less CPU than my old package.

The main reason I switched was to get the Volume Breakdown capabilities and the Market Profile features. I have not got into writing systems for back testing. If I can code enough of my entries, I look forward to being able to utilize that capability too.

Order Entry

I quickly realized that I was lazy. (like I did not already know that) I need my order entry software to place and help manage my stops. I decided that Ninja Trader was a good platform for my tastes. I have upgraded to the new version 6, but I don't think I'm going to get into their charts any time soon. It is an add-on to get the Market Profile capabilities. I'd love to trade from the Chart, but that will have to wait for now.

Ninja also has a great simulation capability. I needed this to help me work through my over trading and refinement of my trade filtering. Before Ninja, I could only "Burn and Learn" as I worked on different trade entry setups. Things "look different" in real time. You get to see candles and indicators forming, but things can change by the time a candle closes. So even after reviewing many historical charts, a trader should start in simulation.

I know of people that will sim trade at least a day when they get back from a vacation to make sure they are back in synch with the markets before putting real money on the line.

Trade Wise, Trade Well
John

No comments: